04 March 2011

Chicken Corn Chowder



Yummy Chowder
I teeter on the edge of being one of those women in the waiting room tearing out the page of Canadian Living magazine for the recipe.  I love to cook and I love to eat and I most certainly am my mother's daughter - I love to feed people.  


Now the thing with me and recipes is that a.) if I find one I like, I never follow it to a tee as there is always some adaptation I do to make it 'my own.'  And b.) I tend to make up recipes a lot of the time and not write it down as I go so people will ask me for it and then I frantically try to remember.  This also makes me my Nanna's granddaughter because as she taught me to cook many of her recipes the amounts were always measured in "this much" looking at her cupped hand.   Or "you know, until it feels right" as a gauge of how much of some ingredient to put in!! 


So it's been over a decade since I've lived on my own - bachelorette style - and I'm still getting used on only having to cook for with enough say for lunch the next day.  Luckily I am currently sharing a duplex and my friend S lives upstairs and really likes having me as her new wife!! Also my sister is just a few streets over so we have been taking turns cooking for each other - we both share the need to adapt recipes!! 


The other day, while waiting for my sis to get her eyes examined, I flipped through Chatelaine and stumbled upon a few delicious soup recipes perfect for this time of year and found Smoky Corn Chowder - their photo looked a lot better than mine but I'm a cook, not a photographer! So I share with you MY version - try it out and tell me what you think! 


Smoky Corn Chowder w/bacon 

  • 6 slices bacon, chopped
  • 1 leek (white part only), finely chopped (I subbed green onions but you could use either) 
  • 1 sweet potato, chopped into small cubes
  • 2 cups frozen corn kernels
  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 398 ml can creamed corn
  • 1/2 red pepper diced 
  • 2 Shredded chicken breasts (cooked separate) 
  1. Heat a large pot over medium. Add bacon and cook just until crisp, 4 min. Discard all but 1 tbsp of bacon fat. Add leek and sauté until tender, 1 min. Then add potato, corn, broth, milk, creamed corn. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium/low. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, 20 min. Season with fresh pepper.

BONUS: Creamed corn adds richness to this soup without adding a lot of fat

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment