07 March 2011

Healthy Mac N Cheese

So it's Friday night - my sister is over and Sophia came down from the upstairs apartment with the bribe that I would make my homemade mac n cheese in exchange for their labour in painting the living room.  

We got kind of a late start and well... no painting got accomplished but we did enjoy this great dish:


It was plenty for all three of us with enough left over to give each person lunch the next day! I may officially become my mother when I start purchasing take out containers to give away food to my guests! 

Ok recipe... feel free to adapt as you see fit! I always add in new things depending on what is in my fridge at the time (hence the sausage in this round!) 

1 pkg noodles (I used corn penne but usually use gluten-free macaroni noodles) 
1 pkg cubed, frozen butternut squash (I have also subbed in a can of organic pumpkin or squash in the past)
organic milk - enough to cover the squash in the pan 
small container low fat ricotta
1/2c shredded cheese (I usually use old cheddar and mexican cheddar) 
1/2 roll goat cheese (optional) 
I pkg organic chicken & gouda sausage (thank you whole foods!) 
frozen edamame, shelled (as much as you like) 
frozen corn (as much as you like) 

preheat oven to 350 degrees 
cook noodles as per package - leave a bit al dente as they are going to cook further, drain 
over medium heat, warm squash and milk until warm and mushy 
remove pan from heat, stir in all cheeses
stir in noodles until coated
pour into baking dish - I topped with pieces of smoked cheddar but you could do bread crumbs or even those canned  french's onions if you are able to eat wheat unlike me! 
heat about 10m until all melty and yummy looking! 

I've also subbed in cubed ham, various cheeses as well as chunks of lobster meat! Use what you enjoy! 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! :) Thanks for sharing. I just put up some food pictures on my Facebook-page. I think you can reach it thru Kaisas' page. (my sis) Or feel free to add me! :)

    ReplyDelete