25 April 2011

Happy East!

My Nana (as with most old Italian ladies) tended to usually leave off the last syllable of certain words.  Toronto = Toront.... Take it easy = Take Ease ... and Happy Easter was always Happy East! Even though she's no longer with us, no one can break us of the habit. 


Yesterday was a beautiful day as we celebrated the wonder of Jesus rising from the dead.  Symbolic for me in that hoping that no matter what cross we are given to bear, that at some point we can have faith that we will rise again.  As you know I cherish my family more than words can express so celebrating the holiday with them was great.  Living away for so many years has certainly taught me to appreciate those moments.  


Another thing about my family is we are slightly obsessed with food.  Here was the Easter Dinner menu - keep in mind everything is from scratch! 


Appetizers 
- Edamame Hummus & Tortilla crisps 
- Antipasto platter of roasted red peppers, olives, grilled artichoke hearts, and a few other things I'm forgetting! 
- Cheese ball encrusted in walnuts 


1st course 
- Gnocchi with meat sauce 
- Pumpkin & Goat Cheese Ravioli 
- Green Sala 


Mains 
- Roasted Lamb 
- Glazed Ham 
- Stuffed Pork Loin
- Roasted Carrots 
- Green Bean Salad 
- Mashed Potato
- Scallop Potato
- Roasted Green Beans 


And then dessert... made by ME! I've been waiting pretty much all of Lent to bake and found this yummy Carrot Cake recipe  so I of course adapted it.  I've linked the recipe so you can see for yourself because it's a long one but I'll list my adaptations for you.... 


So first off rather I substituted Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour mix for regular flour - I try to use a mixture of rice, tapioca and potato flour as they make it less dense.  


Rather than the full amount of sugar I subbed in 1/2 a cup of organic cane sugar plus a few squirts of light agave nectar.  I also added in a jar of organic strained carrot baby food for extra moisture rather than pineapple.  (Usually I add in baby food to baking rather than oil - apple sauce in light flavoured things and prunes in anything chocolate).  And I omitted the nutmeg and just doubled the cinnamon.  And I added in 1 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts. 


As for the icing, I again cut down the amount of icing sugar to 1/2 a cup and added in a 60ml container of greek yoghurt with honey that I happened to have and only used 1 container of cream cheese.  


Now I really wanted to do the four layers however my sis convinced me that it was a dangerous move so to just leave it at the two layers.  I think it would have looked prettier with the four layers and would have been an effective distribution of icing which is important to me!! We sprinkled the top with coconut and cinnamon and stuck a few candles in it to celebrate my Auntie's birthday since it's Tuesday and we were all together! 


It was delicious if I do say so myself - the piece I had this morning for breakfast was even better!! Happy East! 

1 comment:

  1. Carrot Cake is one of my BIG favorites - and your recipe left me drooling. Sure need to try it out one day... if I'm able to find all those ingredients here at the North Pole! :P

    ReplyDelete