02 June 2011

butternut squash & skor cupcakes

so it's celebration time tomorrow...my store is turning 4!!! my trusty side-kick ruby and I baked up a storm tonight including the aforementioned butternut squash cupcakes.  last time they ended up dry and then i realized that i forgot the oil (by mistake) hence the dryness. so tonight we followed - ok pretty much followed - the recipe and they definitely were improved!

So here is the ingredient list - my substitutions are in brackets! 
1/2 of med/lg butternut squash deseeded & roughly chopped (I bought frozen cubed butternut squash in the organic section) 
2 1/4 c brown sugar (1cup organic cane sugar and 1/4 cup agave syrup) 
4 large eggs 
pinch of sea salt 
2 1/2 cu all purpose flour (I used a gluten-free blend.  For those of you whose stomachs don't turn to fire upon eating wheat I'd suggest a whole grain flour) 
2 tsp baking powder 
1/2 c chopped walnuts 
1/2 c skor bits 
1 tsp cinnamon 
3/4 c olive oil (100ml organic apple sauce & 1/4 c grapeseed oil)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line muffin tins with paper cups.  Put squash in food processor (I used the blender and added a bit of milk to help blend).  Mix in with all remaining ingredients until well blended.  Fill paper cups with the mixture and bake 20-25min.  Since I used mini muffin tins, I baked for only 15 minutes.  My plan tomorrow is to ice with cream cheese icing (cream cheese, icing sugar and some greek yogurt w/ honey all blended together.).  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment