19 June 2011

Happy Daddy's Day

Yes I am daddy's little girl and I'm proud of it! I have great memories of riding down to the river with my dad, in the seat on the back of the bike, every Saturday morning before the rest of the house was up.  We'd get to right under the bridge and he'd let me have a coffee crisp bar for breakfast.  I remember always fitting under his arm when sitting in the pew at church on Sunday mornings where I would usually have a fainting spell due to my low blood sugar and never being ready for breakfast before we left for mass.  My dad would cook weekend breakfast of pancakes and would always do our initials plus whatever other odd shaped animal he could conjure up.  I remember watching Magnum PI and MacGyver with mon pere - he's the one who taught me to always have a roll of duct tape with me because you just never know when you would need it.  When it was time for me to move home from University it was my dad and I who expertly packed the truck each year - and then we'd blast Bob Segar so loud from the radio and sing at the top of our lungs as we headed towards home.  Though he has his own "unique" ways of doing things and projects usually take a bit longer to complete than you'd like, you gotta love the guy! And to quote one of the father's day cards that he kept from when I was a kid "I love my dad 3000 feet high and 3000 feet wide.  He's a good dad, if you need one." 


So in honour of Father's Day today, I of course was in charge of dessert and tried out yet a new recipe for carrot cake (at the request of my mother who was craving it!) It was quite delicious and though I made the icing a bit runny it did fall over the sides in a lovely way that each slice was nicely coated! Here's the deets.... 


preheat oven to 325 degrees 
3 cup almond flour 
1 tsp sea salt 
1 tbsp cinnamon 
1 tbsp nutmeg (I omitted and just did 1.5 tbsp cinnamon) 

(Mix these together in large bowl and set aside) 


In small bowl, whisk together
5 eggs 
1/4 cup grapeseed oil 
1/2 cup agave nectar 


Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients until well blended.  
Fold in 3 cups shredded carrots
1 cup chopped walnuts  
1 cup shredded coconut (I subbed this for raisins as I don't think they belong in dessert) 
Turn into two greased 9" round pans and bake for 30-35 min. Cool in pans for 1 hour.  


Icing 
1 pkg softened cream cheese 
1 sml container greek yogurt with honey 
quick pour of maple syrup 
quick pour of milk as needed... 


Ice and enjoy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment