17 July 2011

my first friend

Siblings truly are your first friends - they love you just because.  It's not for any other reason other than you are just all of a sudden in their lives, every moment, sharing every memory and experience together.  You speak sometimes without words and laugh at inside jokes that no one else could, or would want to, understand.  You are allies together against parental control and one of you paves the way for the other.  You fight, you bicker, you sometimes wrestle, you call names, you say "I know you are but what am I?" until the other person comes close to exploding with anger.  If you are like my sister you would hold your finger 1/2 an inch away from me and say "I'm not touching you..." a thousand times until I exploded with frustration.  They are who you complain about to your friends but they are also whom you would fight to the death for and whom you'd be the first to defend if anyone else dare to say anything bad about them.  

My sister and I have had our share of differences - we are similar in some ways but different in most.  We used to wear tights on our heads when we were little to pretend we had ponytails rather than the bowl cuts our mother bestowed upon us.  We would play "Lisa & Lora" which was simply us changing our names to Lisa & Lora and playing our usual games just so that we felt we had slightly more "normal" names.  When we shared bunk beds she would tell me stories at night to help me fall asleep.  At fifteen she sat me down and taught me how to smoke cigarettes so that I wouldn't look stupid if someone offered me a smoke at a party.  We were pretty much night & day in high school - she barely went a week without a detention and I went the entire 5 years of high school without a single one.  I wear my emotions on my sleeve while she tends to hold hers closer to her heart.  She is the first one to go to bat for me when I need someone to fight for me and I have no doubt that she would be the victor when it came down to it.  

This week was her birthday - today we celebrated with a family pool party and bbq at my aunt & uncles under the 40* sunshine.  With lamb burgers, turkey burgers, watermelon & goat cheese salad, rice salad, potato salad, sweet potato hummus and warm homemade artichoke dip, we lounged and ate and laughed.  Then we had cake! Yet another lovely carrot cake however I do think my best recipe concoction yet!! 

Here it is: 

CAKE: 
4 cups grated organic carrots 
3 cups ground almonds 
1/2 cup agave syrup 
1/3 cup grapeseed oil 
2 tsp sea salt 
1 tsp baking soda 
1 tbsp cinnamon 
3 eggs + 2 egg whites 
1 cup chopped walnuts 
3 tbsp ground flax seed
3 tbsp chia seeds 

In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, flax seeds and chia seeds. In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, agave and oil.  Stir carrots and walnuts into wet ingredients.  Stir wet ingredients into dry. Place batter into 2 well greased 9" cake pans.

Bake at 325° for 35 minutes.  Cool to room temperature and spread with cream cheese frosting & serve. 


FROSTING: 
1 container soy cream cheese
1/4 cup almond milk 
3 tbsp dark amber maple syrup. 
1/2 cup shredded white coconut 

Combine first 3 ingredients in stand mixer until smooth and creamy - add more milk as needed.  Add in coconut and stir by hand until mixed.  Ice between the two layers of cake and on the top layer.  ENJOY!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment