11 August 2011

Daily Gratitude

My whole life I've been a journal'er.  Putting my thoughts in to words at the end of each day to keep perspective, to capture moments and to find gratitude.  Blogging does a lot of the same for me but I still journal for those thoughts I'm not ready to share with the world just yet.  I sat with a friend on the weekend and tried to help her find perspective after she received a lay-off notice from her job.   She was spiraling down into despair of how horrible her life was, how over weight she was, etc and my question to her was "what are you thankful for?".  Sometimes I wonder if my friends want to punch me in the face for my positive attitude.  Here's what I think: 



There will always be times in our lives where we feel down on our luck and sorry for ourselves but if we take a moment to shift the focus on to what we are thankful for we can see that in fact, it's not the end of the world.  We have the choice at that moment to dwell in the negative or find something positive that we can hold on to like a life preserver.  There is always someone out there who is worse off, someone fighting a harder battle and no one lives their life without challenges.  

So in the midst of our talk I told her about this great online service called Happy Rambles which is an online gratitude journal.  It sends you an email at the time of day that you select (if you want to go to bed grateful or wake up grateful) and asks you "what are you grateful for".  And all you do is email them back with the 3 or 5 things that you are grateful for and they journal it for you.  See you are never too busy to be grateful!! I think it's great.  Then you can't forget your gratitude moments and it sends you what you wrote the day before so you can also remember those things.  It's just a great way to take a few moments and put things into perspective and realize that we can always find something to be grateful for - even if you are just grateful that you had today.  


Every moment in life is what makes us who we are - the moments of happiness as well as the moments of struggle.  Be thankful equally for both because they ultimately are what shapes us.  Be thankful for something as small as a great cup of coffee or something larger such as a great love or a successful project.  Taking those few moments will actually help you try to note things to be thankful for during the day and hopefully bring a smile to you more often than not.  It's just a few moments here but at the end of the day, we really should be thankful for having that day because life is short but your list of blessings should be long. 

4 comments:

  1. So true. I have been called "too optimistic" too. Like I'm detached from reality. Well, if people were able to take a peek in my backpack they'd realize my life has not been so easy. But, I do always try to look at the bright side of things. It's a choice I have and a choice I make. Again and again. Someone just said "It you took all the trials in the world and put them in a big pile, you'd still pick your own!" True. xoxoxo. Kaisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't visited your blog for a long time, but today I started browsing the blogs I like most - and, well... THANK YOU!! I really NEEDED to read this blog post. I've been a bit blue lately for no real reason, and I really needed to get outta the despair and start to focus more on the GOOD things in my life. Thanks! :) I'm grateful for many things, but today I'm grateful for your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sofia that is so very sweet - I hope you can continue to find gratitude every day. I know it's not always easy. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sure isn't - but, I sure do my best, and also I guess Kaisa and some of my other siblings help me to see the important things in life! :) Hugs back! :)

    ReplyDelete