21 August 2011

Friends & Fiesta

So what better to do on a Saturday night than cook up a storm for a few people such as my sis and friend Sarah.  I yet again lucked out at the market and scored a bunch of gorgeous poblano peppers! The perfect reason to cook up a Mexican fiesta! Plus it also means a trip to Mexico Lindo grocery store where I relish the chance to speak Spanish to someone!! Hola!

After the lentil salad overload of last week, I felt that there would likely be little leftovers of these bad boys if I were to make Julie's Poblano & Corn recipe along with some chicken tacos and fresh pico de gallo salsa.  It was a lovely night, with open windows, a cool breeze through the house and then some chatting on my new sofa.  

If you are like me and could readily eat Mexican food every night, you are sure to like this one.  
- char the poblanos - I usually do on the bbq but it was raining (and admittedly I'm slightly scared of the bbq) so I just broiled them until the skins burned enough.  Let them cool a bit and then peel the skin off - just make sure not to touch any part of your face because it will burn.  Trust me on that one.  Ouch.  
- In small pan, saute diced red onion (about 1/2 a large onion) in oil until semi-transparent.  While these are heating slice the poblanos into thin strips. If you don't like it too spicy make sure to get rid of all the seeds :) Toss these in and saute.  
- Toss in a good amount of frozen corn (I think I used about 3/4 bag) and then cover with milk or cream, bring to a slow boil and then down to a simmer and let stew.   

For my tacos I poached chicken breast in boiling water with salsa and 1/2 a poblano and then shredded it.  Amazing, juicy and slightly spicy meat - perfect contrast with the fresh pico de gallo.  Today I felt the need to run 6.5 miles to get rid of the guilt of eating this much deliciousness! But it was most definitely worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment