29 August 2011

I Ran for Chocolate....

This weekend was a great event called The Chocolate Race up in beautiful Port Dalhousie in the Niagara region. There was a 5K, 10K and 10mile full of chocolaty goodness! This race, as I'm sure you can guess, was 85% female but kudos to the gents out there as well - the odds were certainly in your favour! When my friend Fran told me about the run I was instantly hooked and then when I told the ladies who I'm helping train for Detroit about it, they wanted in too so we made it in to a road trip, met a few more friends up there and had a great run!

It was overcast and very windy and the course was all hills but it was a great route mainly on trails and along the water's edge.  As usual, I'm thankful for the people out on their front lawns, with their cups of coffee cheering on total strangers with homemade signs and lots of spunk! Half of our group did the 10K and the rest did the 10miler but no matter the distance we all had a blast.  Along the course the water stops included chocolate-dipped marshmallow & strawberry kabobs, soft serve chocolate ice cream in addition to water and gatorade.  Post run was a buffet of chocolate crossiants, chocolate milk, truffles, salted caramels and more! It was certainly a choco-holics dreams and I think my sister-in-law Tiina better get ready to do this with me next summer!! 
my medal :)
I was overall happy with my time (1:46) which if I can keep that pace for 3 more miles then I will be on track to meet my 2:17 goal for Detroit in less than 2 months time.  I am amazed sometimes as how strong I feel during a race - as much as I worried about not being prepared for this run, I felt great pretty much until the last 500m and that makes me feel confident for my next race.  10 miles is a pretty perfect distance - I think it will be a hard time to decide what I like better between that and a 1/2.... I do run for chocolate - not only in races really but in life.  I run for balance.  To even out the treats with the healthy items.  To keep my heart and body strong.  I run for me.  I run because I can.  I run because I can't fly.  I run for life.  

3 comments:

  1. LOL. Tiina would just stop and chat and eat the chocolate!! j/k, she'd probably do a great runner too! Miss you both. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so awesome to meet you there. It was a great run. I really hope to do it again.

    The croissants were divine. I am salivating just thinking about them.

    Jes (@ZandCsMom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lindsay! I love your sweet race review of this year's race. Do you mind if I link to it from the race website? I figured out who you were through your bump maternity association. ~Diane

    ReplyDelete