18 August 2011

Lentil Salad Overload

So here is the thing with cooking for one...I'm pretty much used to cooking for 5.  T used to eat for two at dinner (plus me is 3) and then two more portions for each of us for lunch.  I'm not used to scaling down yet - I try but I'm not always successful as with this week's lentil salad.  

So Tuesday night I made a lovely piece of wild salmon lightly seasoned with salt, pepper and fresh lemon.  To accompany I made lentil salad. As per usual I didn't have a recipe but here is what I'm pretty sure I did! 

Bring a bot of water to boil and then add 1 cup of lentils (beware 1c dried lentils will make double when cooked) and cook uncovered on medium heat for 15-20min.  Chop various veggies that you enjoy in your salad - I included tomato, carrot (shredded), cucumber, peppers and onions.  Drain & rinse 1 can of chick peas.  When lentils are finished drain and rinse w/ cool water to stop cooking process.  Mix everything in a bowl and top with dressing and sliced almonds.  Dressing was 4 parts grapeseed oil to 2 parts balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp honey, 1 clove garlic minced.  Put in jar and shake well until blended.  ENJOY! 


Now since I had this massive salad I have enjoyed it for Wednesday lunch and dinner and lunch today.  It goes well with Turkey burgers, chicken breast and pretty much whatever else is in your fridge!! It's a good thing I was raised to enjoy leftovers - Oy!

No comments:

Post a Comment