11 October 2011

to run or not to run....

acupuncture with electric currents - not a great angle!!
In less than a week I should be running the Detroit Free Press 1/2 Marathon.  I love running this race, not only because it's a home race, but I love coming up over the bridge just as the sun is coming up and seeing my city ahead of me.  That said, it's also nice to do a race where you actually know people along the sidelines cheering you on! 

Now even though mentally I feel great for this race, physically my body is slowly revolting against me.  It will be my second 1/2 marathon this year, with a couple 10mile races mixed in along the way.  I'm pretty sure my body is now finally telling me to slow down and perhaps stop pushing so hard.  I made it a promise to just get me through the week and one last race and I won't bother it with running for most of November.  I promise to stick to ballet, Pilates and yoga for the next few months and give it some time off.  I'm doing my best to help out - chiropractic adjustments, massage, acupuncture, ultrasound, heat, ice, magnesium...... all I ask is for maybe 20 more miles.  I know I need to let go of my time goal and just enjoy the run (except for the tunnel because I truly hate that part of the race).  It's hard to let go of the goal because besides this darn IT Band and Hip Flexor I feel great! My times were under a 10min/mile - which isn't breaking any records but for me is damn good! Now with this inflammation, I'm back in the 10:30min/mile - which is still good don't get me wrong but it's frustrating to know you're not where you could be.  For now I'm just going to take it one day at a time. Rest and continue with the therapy and rolling on my foam roller at home and play it by ear. 

Then this morning, as I was tweeting from the massage table, there was a running quote posted that read "sometimes your PR has nothing to do with time but what you conquer inside".  Perhaps I should focus on that a bit more.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! I hope it works out for you, and even if you can't do the race, you can spend the day counting your blessings! Remember that all your senses are working, that you know how to smile and laugh... you know all the good stuff! hugs.

    ReplyDelete