13 November 2011

Cinnamon Maple Bread

There is always something comforting about a warm mug of coffee and a slice of something delicious.  My mom always made various forms of coffee cake or breads (zucchini, banana etc) when we were kids.  I've got a lovely coffee date with my girl E in the morning and so after stumbling upon this recipe I decided that it would be the perfect thing to bring along.  Now the recipe was for a loaf of this Cinnamon Maple bread however I could not for the life of me find my loaf pan, hence I decided to use my lovely fluted bundt pan and cut the baking time down to 30min.  

Not only does the flavor of maple warm my fall-loving heart, there are also many benefits of cinnamon in our diets.  Here are a few: 
~ Help with indigestion
~ Mild anti-inflammatory
~ Slows the spoiling of food
~ Diarrhea
~ Sniffing it can improve brain function
~ Improves type 2 diabetes
~ Helps with insulin resistance 


So whether you share the love of all things maple (and by love I mean literally could drink the syrup straight out of the can) or looking for the heath benefits of cinnamon, here is the recipe: 

For the bread:
  • 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup browned butter
  • 1/4 cup cold butter cubed
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  •  
    For the icing:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla. Slowly whisk in the browned butter.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
In a small bowl, cut the butter and cinnamon together until you have small pea sized chunks.
Fold into the batter.
Pour into a greased 9x5 loaf pan.
Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Allow to cool for 15 minutes before icing. To make the icing, whisk together all ingredients. Add more sugar or cream to reach the desired consistency. Drizzle over the top of the bread or spread on individual slices. 


I added another 1/4c of maple syrup - just because I love it so...tasting it now, I would add in some nuts or perhaps do some sort of pecan/walnut/maple filling to layer in before baking.... I didn't have heavy cream to make the icing so I just sprinkled with powdered sugar however tomorrow I may make some fresh whipped cream to bring along and yep, most likely drizzle with more maple syrup!

No comments:

Post a Comment