19 November 2011

What we learn from angels

Perhaps they are not really stars in the sky but rather openings where our loved ones shine down to let us know they are happy. -Eskimo legend
 
Dear brother, 
I can only hope that the above legend is true - that you are looking down on all of us as we keep you in our heart.  This photo is how I will always remember you - how I will remember us.  It will always be us playing under the stairs on Piche street and trains on Alexandra, going to Cranbrook to look at dinosaurs and dig for bones, family camping trips and Bob's scavenger hunts. Then when I moved to Ottawa, Sunday dinners around the table and discussions about a million topics. I remember when you told me you were going to marry Laleah and then dancing with you at your wedding. I remember your voice telling me about Emma when she was first born, how happy you were to be a father.  There was nothing but love and happiness in your tone.  It's hard not to feel like you were taken too soon. I hope what we can learn from angels is that each day matters - that we can't let a moment go by without appreciating what and who we have in our lives. I still remember the moment I heard - I was in total disbelief. Putting together collages of photos for the service was like seeing our childhood laid out in front of me.  I remember standing in the funeral home and my legs were paralyzed.  I couldn't go to your casket for the longest time - I was not ready to say good bye to you.  You live on in all our hearts and in Emma's smile.  Her strength, her tenacity and her spirit - they are you.  We can only hope that you were there, smiling down on us and keeping a watchful eye.  I promise to tell Emma all the crazy stories, to hopefully give her our love of dinosaurs, to always help her remember her wonderful daddy and yes, I will break out the Beta tapes of our New Years Eve music videos and commercials! Brother, wherever you are please smile down on us and know that we are looking up to the heavens with our love for you.  You live in our hearts forever.  xo

No comments:

Post a Comment