22 December 2011

Feeling blessed

Today marks the 20th anniversary of the loss of this great man - my grandfather, my Nannu.  Though I was only blessed with him for 14years he taught us all so many things.  He was famous for saying "when you are dead, you're dead a long time" and usually it was in response to my grandmother yelling at him for eating or doing something he wasn't supposed to! And it is very true. Life is short so we really should count our blessings and live in each moment.  This is likely where my check the dessert menu first philosophy came from....

It seems as though all the blessings in your life come out of the woodwork and land smack dab in your lap around this time of the year.  It's a time to take stock in who is around you and reach out to them.  It's a time when you realize that you really do believe in miracles and that good inherently lies within people.  As you spend extended periods of time with your family, you realize just how blessed you are to have them.  As crazy as they all are!! Just kidding. Maybe. *wink* It's the time of year where you do miss those who have left us - there is nothing more I would give then to be sitting in the dining room of my grandparents home, in the midst of a Christmas Eve seafood feast, where the decibel level hits way above what any human ear can take.  I miss them both every day but especially this week.  The two of them shaped each of us and made each of us appreciative of just how wonderful a family we are blessed with.  

Now, for those of you who know me, you know that I'm a big sap.  I go through Kleenex like it's nobody's business at this time of the year.  It's not because I'm sad but there is just something so magical about Christmas.  I cry each year when the Goodfellows are out selling their papers - I read the "Yes Virginia" story each year and it always warms my heart.  I do believe.  Not in Santa himself but in the magic and goodness of the season.  I have literally cried at pretty much any commercial that involves someone returning home for Christmas, soldiers or veterans, or those doing good deeds for others.  Yes I cried at the Kmart layaway story and I cried through the montage on Good Morning America that highlighted so many great things and great accomplishments of this past year.  I'll likely bawl all the way through New Years just being grateful for the wonderful things and the amazing people I have in my life.  I draw my strength from them and their support.  I give my love because I have been blessed with love.  Christmas is pretty much a full 3 day affair with our family and I can't even wait for it to begin! We are so very, very lucky.  

I hope that this time of year reinforces the belief of others that people are inherently good and that we are here on this earth to love each other and to be good to each other.  I hope that the miracles that surface are remembered throughout the year, that the outpouring of love and support won't end when the season does and that the approaching new year will be filled with amazing things and new memories.  I believe.  I choose to believe.  In love.  In Peace. In Family. In hope.  

No comments:

Post a Comment