04 January 2012

Happy New Year (a few days in....)

I spent the last few days of 2011 with my second family in Ottawa just doing absolutely nothing and enjoying every minute of it. I've never really been one to make New Years Eve a huge deal - usually spending it with family or dinner out and then watching the ball drop in the comfort of someone's living room.  Now as many of you know, 2011 was a crazy, busy year full of changes and challenges.  I was looking forward to starting this next year off fresh, happy and ready for new good things to come in to my life.  The day before I left for Ottawa, I received word that our divorce had become final and I was in fact (legally) a single girl.  It's hard to explain how it felt - quite anti-climatic in comparison to the joy of our wedding, sad to know it is 100% over even though I already knew it was and comforting to have the closure, ready to face the coming year full of possibility.  I was thankful to be able to take this year and all of the changes that happened and move forward.  As much as this was something I never imagined, it feels good to close the chapter and look ahead.  I come out of this past decade richer for the memories, the love, and the people.  I would never have moved back home and never subsequently moved overseas. I would never have been a sister-in-law, an aunt or a god-mother. I would never have met some of the friends I carry closest to my heart.  I wouldn't have my own business.  I wouldn't be me.  I am the me I am because of every moment I've lived - not only the past 11 years with T, but all the experiences in my life.  I don't have a shred of regret.  I have lessons learned.  I have my soul strengthened.  It is time to move forward and I'm predicting many good things ahead.  

Now after a few weeks of reduced exercise, increased eating, highly increased sugar intake and working like crazy, it's no wonder that I am starting the new year fighting off a bit of the cold that is goiing around.  Of course I think part of it is also due to the 4 flights in 3 days and recirculated air.  Whatever it is I am pretty determined to fight it off - unless I feel like a vomitting spree is imminent and then, to be honest, I'll let it run it's course cuz that is a great way to drop the holiday 'lb's'. In addition to my onslaught of vitamins that I normally take (photo to the right) I am trying to increase my fluids, veggies and fruit intake.  I've been making a lot of smoothies as both a treat and an antioxidant boost! Today's was 1/2 an avocado, handful of spinach, greek yogurt, frozen strawberries, handful of blackberries, pomegranate seeds, honey, hemp seeds, chia seeds, ground flax and a bit of OJ.  


This little bout of sickness has made me have to lay off the running a bit but I'm hoping to get back out there soon as I've booked my first 1/2 marathon of the year May 6th and I'm determined to reach the goal I was hoping for before October's injury.  It is just one of the many good things I am sure 2012 has waiting for me.  I believe that this is going to be my year.  New adventures, new memories and fingers-crossed new love.  I started the year surrounded by joy and I intend to carry that with me for the next 361 days.  May this year be one of happiness and positivity and many new blessings for everyone.  Let us be thankful for the moments we have that not only warm our heart but that also strengthen them. 


 




No comments:

Post a Comment