29 January 2012

Last night was a late one - very late - and I'm not usually one to stay up or out past say 12am... So last night as we sat chatting in B & R's living room and noticed the clock said 3:38 I nearly stopped breathing.   10am yoga class was going to be there before you knew it lol! The other reason that I don't stay up late is that I honestly can't make myself sleep in.  This morning I tried hard to just keep laying in bed even if I wasn't sleeping but alas, by 8:15am I had to get up!! But it was all worth the lack of sleep - we (the 12 of us!) had a lovely dinner at Take Five - I wish I had more of an appetite though because there was kangaroo on the menu and I would have loved to try it.  Next time I guess... The scallops were still very delightful and I'd recommend for those hankering for a good chunk of meat who don't feel like going down to The Keg.  

Needless to say today I'm slightly sluggish however we got a beautiful blustery snow storm so I just hunkered down and cooked & cleaned - I know my domestic abilities are beyond awesome!! Today's menu was a curried lentil & chickpea soup, chicken breasts encrusted with almonds & quinoa salad.  Here is what I did (I think ;))

Curried Lentil & Chickpea Soup 
1 onion diced 
5 celery stalks diced 
2 c diced carrot 
1 sml zucchini diced 
1/8 tsp cinnamon 
2 tsp curry powder 
salt & pepper
1/2" piece of fresh ginger chopped tiny
3/4 c green lentils (rinsed) 
1/4 c red lentils (rinsed) 
2 c cooked chickpeas (or 1 can if you don't cook your own) 
1 c strained tomato
4 c broth (chicken or vegetable) 

Saute onion in grapeseed oil over med high heat, add in fresh ginger, celery, zucchini & carrots and saute until veggies softened.  Add lentils & tomato and saute for 1 min.  Add in curry & cinnamon and then broth.  Bring to a boil and then down to a simmer for 1/2 hour - stirring occasionally.  After 25min add in the chickpeas until finished cooking.  

For the chicken I used my new favourite product (Greek Yogurt Artichoke & Asiago Dip) and topped the chicken breast with a layer of the dip and then covered in slivered almonds.  Bake at 350 for about 20min.  

Qunioa salad - cook the quinoa as directed on package.  I added in sliced kalamata olives, tomatoes, green onions, sunflower seeds, shelled hemp seeds and feta cheese.  I made a little olive oil, balsamic and cilantro dressing.  Once quinoa is cooled - all all in a bowl and mix! I cut up the chicken breast & served over the quinoa.  Will be even better for lunch tomorrow!! 

What could be better than a weekend full of good friends (new and old) and great eats? My heart and my stomach are both full! 

No comments:

Post a Comment