12 January 2012

Nourishment

I've grown up learning that nourishment is not only about feeding your body but also providing fuel to your soul.  I was lucky to grow up with a mom who baked pretty much everything from scratch.  Now ask an 8yr old me who really wanted wonderbread and she may tell you otherwise but now, looking back, I see how lucky I was.  When I was sick, it was home made soup that cured my sister & I not an open can of Campbell's.  When we came home from school, it was my mom's oatmeal cookies that we snacked on.  And on though on camping trips when we were allowed a store bought treat we pushed the envelope and made our parents buy us spray cheese, I now realize just how that nourishment gave R and I the base we needed. Honestly having the memory of the smells of my mother's kitchen fuel something inside of me.  When I feel low or sad, I cook or I bake.  Sometimes I bake when I feel great - to celebrate.  I fill my home with scents like garlic & onions sauteing or chocolate chip cookies baking. I love to cook for friends and family and I know this is one of the many great lessons my mother has taught me. 


It was gloomy and rainy here today.  Winter has gotten lost somewhere along the way and has sent a perpetual spring with 50degree weather and WAY too much rain.  It's just dreary and blah.  So tonight, I baked.  Something quick and simple and pretty much healthy but just sweet enough to fill my apartment with the a warm, yummy scent.  If you need a little pick-me-up or just that warm fuzzy feeling of your mom's kitchen - give these a try! 

Chocolate Chip Scones 
2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup grapeseed oil
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 large eggs
1 cup coarsely chopped dark chocolate (73% cacao)
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, salt, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, whisk together the grapeseed oil, agave nectar, and eggs. Stir the wet ingredients into the almond flour mixture until thoroughly combined, then fold in the chocolate. Drop the batter, in scant 1/4 cups 2 inches apart, onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 12 to 17 minutes, until golden brown or a toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean. Then.... enjoy :) And maybe call your mother.  (Since mine is likely reading this... Love you mom xoxo)

No comments:

Post a Comment