25 January 2012

Take the show on the road.....

I'll be honest - I love to make people laugh.  Like I LOVE IT, love it! Sometimes I try really hard to be witty and bring on the laughter and yet there other times when it just oozes right out of me unintentionally.  Usually the later includes me falling down or running into something because I"m naturally very clumsy as well. But no matter how it happens, I LOVE IT! Sometimes the audience may not be one you would think you should crack jokes in front of, however I'm pretty sure my fertility doctor used to be thoroughly amused by me. I used to save up jokes for our appointments! (Side note, I did see him and his lovely wife out for sushi the other day when I was picking up take out but I wasn't sure they would remember me after all these years.  Plus it would be kinda awkward if they didn't and I was all like 'hey remember me? you used to be all up in my lady parts? oh and btw that marriage didn't work out so I guess it's a good thing neither did the fertility!") Anyhoooooo.....
Last night was ballet class night and as usual there was a lot less dance moves than laughter happening in the studio.  It started for me as I was getting dressed for class (I like to make it all about the outfit and channel my inner "Fame" starlet) when I couldn't decide between purple or silver glittery leg warmers.  And then I really wanted to wear my tutu but I was walking to class and I couldn't figure out a way to close my long winter jacket over my tutu-butt.  For those of you who know me, I already have quite a bit of 'junk in the trunk' so adding in a layer of fluff pretty much made that impossible.  Besides wanting to of course dance in my tutu, (b/c just like ice skating, I'm better in the correct outfit) I wanted to also wear it to make my teacher laugh - seeing as I was walking over to her house to then walk to the studio together.  How hilarious would it be for a 5' 9" grown-up ballerina to show up at your door at 8:30 at night?? 

I honestly think if someone were to put up a secret camera while our class was happening, the ridiculous shit comes out of our mouths (in addition to our dance moves) may make you pee your pants a little.  Last night I did threaten to "live tweet" from class because some of the statements were just too funny.  And to be honest most of them weren't meant to be amusing which in turn just really makes it funnier! To sum it up - the class started off with our instructor offering us sour patch kids "with juicy crap in the middle" to get hopped up on crazy sugar and dance. Trying to perfect a move, there was the question "is this move supposed to make my back fat scrunch up when I do it?" There was some running into the wall after doing turns across the room (I was quite dizzy lol!!) and doing our leaps across the studio JC busts out with "we don't even SOUND graceful!".  Maybe you just have to be there - maybe we are just crazy but I tell you what, that one hour of supposed dance class is more about the laughter and friendships that have been cultivated than the moves.  Cuz let's face it - the only one with the moves is our teacher and we are most likely the least obedient and graceful students she has ever had but also likely the most amusing! 


One of the lovely ladies I follow on Twitter has recently taken up speed skating as just one of the many things she hasn't been afraid to try. She's pretty hilarious and very insightful and I recommend you take a read at www.speedskatingmom.com.   Not to toot my own proverbial horn, but I've realized that I'm not really afraid of much.  I guess I sometimes take that for granted when others express their trepidation over something I try to convince them to go for it.  I really will try most anything and I'm not afraid to make a fool out of myself (luckily so, since I am pretty much the clumsiest, most embarrassing person ever!) The above quote is so totally true and refers back to me whole post on not being afraid to say I Love You.  I've never really put too much thought into it but after the craziness of the past year or so, people have often expressed how well I seem to have handled things. Now I've certainly had my dark moments but I do choose to see my divorce more as starting a new chapter in my life rather than starting over.  Starting over would imply that what came before was trying to be replaced by new and I truly don't want that.  It's the 'everything else' that brought me to 'here and now'.  Life isn't about forgetting the chapter before, those lines build all the characters in the story.  A new chapter is a new beginning - a new chance to make a change, to try something new, to develop the character, to push yourself in an uncharted direction.  Ask yourself - what is something that you've always wanted to do? What's on your bucket list?  What's stopping you? Push your own boundaries.  You don't have to be good at it - you just have to give it a go.  Maybe you'll rock it! Maybe you won't like it after all.  You may suck at it.  You may even talk about 'being so ill that you poop the bed' in ballet class... You just never know!! Whatever your dreams may be - chase them.  Don't let them pass you by because the worst thing ever would be to see you were nearing the end of the book and realize that you forgot to read all the chapters. You get one life.  LIVE IT!

2 comments:

  1. I so believe in the philosophy of just trying. I'm not brave at all - most of the time I'm scared out of my wits but what moves me forward is the thought of looking back and knowing I let that fear hold me back from something I could potentially love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is "Buffalo Butt and Thunder Thighs" LOL

    ReplyDelete