24 May 2012

Taking the leap....

When change is necessary, trust yourself to have the strength and courage to do what you need to do to grow. Sometimes it just comes down to a leap of faith. Sometimes that which we define as fear is really just a mixture of anticipation and excitement.  That "I may cry or vomit at any moment" feeling means that we are on the brink of greatness.  Nothing that is worth much in life comes easily.  It takes work and dedication and faith.  It truly does mean taking that leap. 

 
There has been this dream of mine since I lived in Ottawa and fell in love with a store called The Paperie on Bank Street.  I found myself in there at least once a week, strolling through the aisles to find the perfect card or gift.  As many of you know I start each month with a list of people's birthdays, anniversaries, and other special events and properly write & send a card.  I send thank you notes in gratitude.  My holiday card list is usually longer than my arm.  And yes, I even have a few pen pals that I write letters & photographs to rather than emails & jpegs.  I have always dreamed of having a shop of my own where I can help encourage this lost art of correspondence and support others out there who still see the joy in knowing someone will receive a bit of happiness when they check their mailbox.  

I won't sugar-coat it.  Opening a brand new business is pretty frickin' scary - it's a whole new set of bills, anxiety and juggling.  Doing it solo amps that fear up a little but I am very lucky - I have the most amazing parents, sister, family & friends who constantly support me.  People whom I love dearly and who I know will be there come success or failure.  When the worry creeps in, they remind me that I can do it.  Sometimes it's just a few simple words like "you're going to do great" that still the fear.  Sometimes it's having someone to bounce ideas off of or someone who will challenge you and help you think things through.  

So, standing here on the edge of heart pounding excitement & a nauseating kind of fear,  I'm more than pleased to announce the opening of Poppy Paperie & Gifts opening in Walkerville, June 2012.

Give me the strength to yet again spread my wings and jump - trusting in myself that I will fly. 

4 comments:

  1. hello! are you on facebook? i came across your soon to be existence in that "venue" of social media.
    sounds fabulous! hey, i have a friend in ottawa who makes great hilarious cards. her name is alice ruth hinther and i think windsor could do with a dose of her! ( just in case you want for sources. hers is a worthwhile one and she is new on the scene )
    should you be on facebook please friend me. i'm in the hood. ( studio above hodge podge ). have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love you girl...you're amazing!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linds. I just read this post out loud for Terho, and towards the end my eyes welled up and I had a hard time finishing the text. We are so happy for you, and impressed by your countinous strive for success, believing that you have what it takes. Well, guess what girl, YOU DO! All honor to God for giving you all the wonderful traits that you have. Love you much. Can't WAIT to see "Poppy" in action :) Big Whooping Luck to you. Kaisa

    "You raise me up so I can stand on Mountains, You raise me up to walk on stormy seas, I am strong caus I am on your shoulders, You raise me up to more than I can be!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! Congratulations. I wish you all the best, with your new venture and I am looking forward to stopping by next time I am in Windsor.
    Still working on the Uppa Baby stroller :)

    ReplyDelete