21 August 2012

Bounty of summer

So one of the benefits of where my new store is located is that we are attached to The Twisted Apron General Store & Market - an offshoot of one of my fav restaurants in the 'hood.  Local produce arrives daily along with other great organic and healthy food options. It reminds me of the little shops along Bloor West in my days of Toronto dwelling where I could pick up ingredients daily to make meals. Fresh, local, awesome.  We are lucky in that our area produces some awesome fruits & veggies.  Yesterday I grabbed a few ears of sweet corn, red onions, yellow tomatoes and cukes. Since it's been well documented on how chicken shit I am of turning on the BBQ, I rely heavily on my cast iron grill pan.  I grilled up the corn and slabs of red onion as I marinated my chicken breast in avocado & cilantro and put on the quinoa.  I chopped up the rest of the veggies, opened a can of black beans and threw together a lemon & cilantro vinaigrette to put on top.  As usual there is no recipe but the finished product was amazing though this photo doesn't do it justice.

Salad: 1 can of black beans drained & rinsed, quinoa, 2-3 mini cucumbers diced, 2-3 tomatoes diced, 1 grilled onion, 2 ears of sweet corn grilled & sliced off the cob.  
Dressing: 2 parts grapeseed oil, 1 part apple cider vinegar, juice of 1 lemon, teaspoon of cilantro paste, salt & pepper.  Shake well.  Top with grilled chicken and ENJOY!!
 

1 comment:

  1. Yummmm... wish I lived closer ;)
    I can almost smell it!!

    ReplyDelete