11 April 2014

10 things to do today to make you happy


For no real apparent reason, yesterday I wanted to pretty much punch someone in the face.  No one in particular and a bunch of people all at once.  Seems as though this girl may need a vacation in the near future because the littlest things were setting me off - things that normally wouldn't cause me a second glance. I'm blaming it on the full moon...

Even friends & loved ones were bothering the heck out of me - mainly by NOT doing anything.  People all wrapped up in their own worlds and not concerned about mine. And I do realize that I am one of those people that always loves more but sometimes that can lead to feel like you are being taken advantage of.  After living away for so many years, I am the one that reaches out more often, that apologizes even when not in the wrong just to clear the air.  The one that sends birthday cards to my friends kids in the mail and that remembers important dates, especially the ones where friends may need a little extra love.  I am an expert gift-giver and pride myself on listening and trying to always find that special something that will bring a smile to someone's face.  But sometimes that gets taken advantage of and probably not on purpose but because it's easy to do.  It's easy to get caught up in the hecticness of our day-to-day and it takes a lot to push me to the end of my rope but here I am dangling away! I don't really get mad - it's not in my character to stay angry but I do withdraw when someone pushes that final button.  Yesterday it was one of my best girls snapping at me that brought tears to my eyes - button pushed!! I will not EVER beg someone to a) simply be nice or b) want to spend time with me.  I will walk away and I will be fine and happy and you can be miserable.  We are so quick to snap at the people that we love the most because they are there and because often they are easier to ask forgiveness from.  But maybe we should all take a moment to be thankful for the people in our lives and even in the most hectic times, be grateful for all that we have.  If work is super busy - be grateful that we aren't struggling.  If we have a lot of social arrangements going on - be happy that we have so many people in our lives to do things with.  

As much as I love my businesses they do involve a lot of small talk and chit chat and people who aren't always the most pleasant to deal with.  I enjoy people but I also enjoy my own quiet time and when things overwhelm me (as they kinda are right now) I need to get some space.  Just a few days of not talking to people - reading, cooking, laying in the sunshine.... But while I scour the internet for cheap vacations I need something to tide me over today so I've come up with 10 things to do to make you (me) happy! If you can think of anything else I should add to the list feel free to comment.  

And please, no matter where you are or who you interact with today - be nice.  That simple.  Be reciprocal - ask someone how their day is when they ask you.  Reach out to a friend that you haven't spoken to in a while and make sure they are ok.  Don't judge someone because they are living their life differently than you are - everyone is fighting a different battle.  Try to just be happy with what you have - even if it's chaos because life is short and precious.  Don't take things for granted - especially the people that love you.  If you've been an asshole say you're sorry. 

  1. Download a song that you used to love in high school and play it really loud.  Sing along.  Make an ass out of yourself and just DANCE! 
  2. Pay it forward - find a chance to do something nice for someone else in your life without any expectation for anything in return.  Be selfless.
  3. Make a point to compliment 3 people you have contact with today - a little goes a long way.
  4. Reach out to an old friend - send them an email or even a text - something to let them know you are thinking of them and why they matter. 
  5. Sweat for at least 20 min - exercise, sex, whatever it takes to get your heart rate pumping and make you feel alive.  
  6. Have a good laugh - Go through old photos, watch a funny movie or visit the dog shaming website.  Do something of the like that will make you smile.  
  7. Write it out - make a list of 5 things you are grateful for today - can be as simple as enjoying sunshine on your way to work or for the food you have to put on your table. 
  8. Plan an adventure - big or small just play on the internet for an hour and plan an adventure that you'd like to do this year. 
  9. Say Thank You to someone - either someone you come in contact with today or reach out to someone who has done something nice for you in the past and just say Thanks.  Those two words go a long way. 
  10. Make a happy list - sounds silly and can be challenging but make a list of 100 things that make you happy.  Keep this list with you and when you have one of those "I want to slap you moments" refer to it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment