15 October 2015

Thankful

Ok it has definitely been a while since I have blogged an actual recipe on here so no time like the present to introduce you all to this glorious fall apple pie that I created for Thanksgiving.  As per usual I did not follow a recipe to acheive this so take this for what it is ... an adaptation on your traditional apple pie! (Ps we served this with pumpkin "ice cream" which was just canned pumpkin, almond milk and frozen bananas and that was pretty great!) 

For the crust I used the following
2 cup ground almonds 
1 tbsp ground flax (fiber = good!) 
1/4 c grapeseed oil 
1/4 c agave 
2 tbsp maple syrup 

Just mix it all up until it's a good consistency and then squish it into a pie dish and bake at 350 until it's golden brown which is about 15 min.  But keep your eye on it... 

Filling was a mixture of crunchy apples, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 cup of cornstarch, a couple of go-arounds with cinnamon, pinch of nutmeg - mix that all up and pour in baked crust.  For the topping I used another cup of almond meal, maybe 1/3 cup of large flake oats , the same of sliced almonds, more cinnamon and 1/2 cup of vegan butter since my sis needed to eat this but highly I recommend regular delicious butter cut into cubes.  With pastry fork (or your clean fingers if you are me!) squish all together until it's mealy.  crumble it on top of apple mixture so that it's covered and then I drizzled with a bit more maple syrup because well, because maple syrup is my favourite thing on earth.... 

Then I baked that pie at 400 for about 40 min and it was freaking delicious.  FYI.         

It's always at thanksgiving that I realize just how much I do have to be thankful for. This year was no exception.  I feel like I've yet again learned a lot of lessons this year, some of which the hard way but that's also not unlike me.  I Energy Exchange at my local Moksha Hot Yoga studio and I love it.  The crew there is awesome and being an exchanger has really helped me get to know people that practice there and the amazing teachers and owners of the studio.  Just being there Thanksgiving morning when Mesia comes in and gives me a giant hug and squeals about my new bangs or when we are in class and the music is pumping and the killer Kriya class is full of energy and laughter.  There is this bond between yogi's and everyone is supporting each other or razzing each other - laughing and sharing this space.  It's hard to explain but now being a part of things, that Sangha or "community" has really come to feel like home.  Being there, in that space, with people who are sharing & sweating just kinda feels centering.  

I am grateful for this new opportunity and these new friends.  I am so grateful to have found the connection to yoga in a way to come to my mat and center myself every day.  That even though stumbles and falls have brought me here, that truly I am happy and lucky to have each day.  Watching friends struggle through health issues these past few years, makes me appreciate not only the strength of my body but of my spirit.  There are times I struggle - with moving on and with letting go - but I do keep moving forward.  I am lucky for the struggle because without it there is no way I would ever appreciate all the wonderful experiences I've had, the amazing people whom I share my life with nor have the gratitude to be humble with my life.  They played the song I am The Luckiest during shavasna and yes there were tears.  It is true.  I am the luckiest. Plus I make a damn good pie...... 

No comments:

Post a Comment